List of Trades
Land Tax was introduced in 1693 (using an assessment taken in 1692), and continued until 1963. It was levied on land with an annual value of 20 shillings or more, and the collection of the tax was organised by county, hundred and then parish. Most of the early documentation has not survived nationally, and the ones for Carnarvon are available from 1770 until 1830 (with gaps), with two assessments undated. The earlier assessments contain the bare minimum of information, the typical form being: "William Griffith for Pen y Gelly," although many entries were similar to "Mr. Owen Thomas for a House." The later assessments contain far more comprehensive details, with the owners and occupiers of the land listed, together with the name of the property and the tax paid. These also include a list of those exempt from paying the tax. It should be borne in mind that those listed were only a small percentage of the town's population, and the fact that someone is not included does not indicate that they were not living in Carnarvon at the time.
|© 2003 - 2016 Keith Morris. All rights reserved